www.ConsumerPatrol1.com Forum Index www.ConsumerPatrol1.com
A place to discuss your experiences as a consumer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You Insure your appliances? Read this and think again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ConsumerPatrol1.com Forum Index -> Tell It Like It Is!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlcole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Do You Insure your appliances? Read this and think again! Reply with quote

I have a Multi Appliance cover with Domestic and General. It is referred to as a MAP where each item is insured seperately but all taken out together in one monthly payment. My printer became unrepairable but because it was over 5 years old they are only offering me £65.00 to replace. This got me thinking and I checked my policy. My TV has been insured at £9.65 per month and my * is £7.47 per month.
For 7 years I have paid for my TV and my * for 9 years. That means I have paid £769.44 for my * (over the term) and £810.60 for my TV!!! As they over 5 years old, if they become unrepairable I will only get 30% . I paid in 1990 £610 from Peter Jones and it came with a 5 year guarantee. If I had to buy a new one I would only get £183???? And if they had to replace my * which was then (9 years ago) £345, I would only get £103.50!!!!, Maybe!!! I have NEVER had a repair on the * and the TV has been repaired once. I have learned my lesson and will cancel the policy tomorrow. It would have been cheaper to cancel years ago, save the money and buy a new one if it broke down. What a mug I have been but I never really sat down and worked it out. My advice, if you want to insure, do so ONLY up to five years, then, after that, cancel and open a seperate bank account and put money in each month to cover breakdowns on you appliances, or use the money to replace them, which ever is more economical Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ConsumerPatrol1.com Forum Index -> Tell It Like It Is! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: